Monday, August 9, 2010

Teacher Week: About Me

It is teacher week over at Babbling Abby, so I thought I would play along! If it is your first time reading my blog, welcome!

About Me As A Teacher:

- Teaching has been a journey for me. When I was younger I wanted to be a teacher. Then when I went off to college I had no clue what I wanted to do. I changed my major 4 times, then after graduating decided teaching was the profession for me. I went back to school to get my teaching license.

- As I said earlier, teaching has been a journey for me, and it still is. I recently received my teaching license and with the lack of jobs out there can't find a job. I recently accepted an offer to be an Instructional Assistant working with special needs children. I couldn't be more excited.

- The school I will be working at is 1 mile from my house. If I had children they would go there.

- I constantly think about just going back to school to get my masters. This is one of my goals in life, so I know I will eventually. But I worry about still not being able to get a job after I get my masters.

- I used to only want to teach middle school or high school. I had to get certified K-12 (I am certified to teach Art) and after a lot of experience and practice with the younger children I love it. I am now open to teaching anyone.

- I can't think of anything else I would want to do with my life. Time and time again God has showed me that this is the right profession for me. Just when I start seriously doubting He reminds me in a big way that I need to stick with it.

- I hated my first student teaching experience. I loved my second student teaching experience. I learned so much from both, and wouldn't trade either experience for anything.

- As I said above, I am certified K-12 in Art. I love how art education can be used in so many different ways. It helps students to interact with the material, really think and process it, make it their own. Art is a great tool for self expression, communication, higher level thinking and learning problem solving skills.

- I also really want to be a coach. Either gymnastics, cheerleading or both.

- A lot of people I talk to say I am naive and idealistic when it comes to teaching. I am slowly learning that this is true. Although, in a way I think it is good.

- I don't care if it takes me till I'm 50 to become a teacher, I'm not giving up.

1 comment:

rachel said...

i love this!!! ( : you're so cute! i don't think you'll be 50... ( :

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS