Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July Food

So I mentioned in my last post that I attended a bunch of parties/cookouts this past holiday weekend. I made two different dishes to bring to two different cookouts. Thought I would share because both of them turned out great, and one is a favorite classic of mine!

Sunday I made deviled eggs for our neighborhood cookout. This is a recipe of my mom's that I have always loved. I've made it so many times that I don't even measure the ingredients anymore.
But here is the recipe:
6 hard boiled eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbs mayo (but sometimes I add more)

To boil the eggs place in cold water with 1 inch above, bring to boil, let sit 10 minutes covered on low, then place directly into cold water. They say the cold water helps them to peel easier. After cutting in half and adding ingredients to egg yolks, fill whites with mixture. I lastly sprinkle paprika on top, and they are so good!

Monday I made this really fun cake to bring to another cookout. It was suppose to be red, but I couldn't get the red food coloring to work, so it was pink. It still tasted good though.
Click here for the recipe, it was actually pretty easy to make.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ahh! You made the cake! I didn't get a chance to, but it looks pretty.

Jenny said...

@Melissa

Yes, I did make it! The hardest part was getting the food coloring right!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS