Thursday, November 24, 2011

grandma's favorite holiday

Happy Thanksgiving! I have so much to be thankful for this year. My faith, amazing family and friends, my job, my health, being able to run, my home, I could go on and on!

Thanksgiving was always my grandma's favorite holiday. She said it was less stressful than Christmas, without the presents but it was so nice to have all the family together for a nice meal. The older I get the more I understand this.
Every Thanksgiving since she has passed away (this is the 3rd one) we always talk about her and how we miss her. I thought about her as I drove home from The Turkey Trot I ran this morning. It def. wasn't my best race, and for some reason it made me think about how she never gave up on anything, and I can't either. Whether that's in running or anything else in life. Neways, it made me think about her and how I wish I could celebrate just one more Thanksgiving with her.
There was one Thanksgiving when I was in college, it must have been my freshmen or sophomore year because it was before my parents got divorced, but we stayed up late talking while my grandma made the cheesecake. So every Thanksgiving after that my grandma would bring up this story about how much fun she had that night. I always loved that because it was so simple, and my grandma had traveled all over the world, yet that night of just talking and baking was one of her favorite memories.
 Grandma always taught me that family was so important. This holiday I am reminded of how lucky I am for the family in my life. Clarke's mom, dad and sister came over to my mom's to celebrate Thanksgiving and it was just nice to have them there too. 
When my grandma passed away my mom took her cat, all the way from Florida. My sister in law loves to sit with her on Thanksgiving. :)

I am so grateful for her being in my life. I know God used her to shape me into who I am today. Although I miss her especially today I am happy to say she would have been proud to see us all enjoying her favorite holiday so much.

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS