Sunday, June 6, 2010

Plan B

I read about this book on a friend's blog recently and thought it might inspire me.
I just finished reading it last night.

I wanted to read this book because I feel I am in the mist of a plan b, when it comes to my career. No matter what I try, it seems I can't get my professional life where I want it to be. I do have a great job, but I don't feel it is where I am suppose to be anymore. I desire more in my career, but for some reason it just isn't happening right now.

What really spoke to me in this book and what I really take away is the message of the cross. Now I've been a christian for a long time, but this book made me see Jesus' death on the cross in a new light.

When Jesus went to the cross He faced the ultimate plan b. It was His purpose, His reason for coming to earth, to die on the cross to save us from our sins, but I think we often forget how incredibly painful that was. He was not excited about it, if He could have done it differently He would have.

But, if Jesus had decided it was too hard, too painful, our lives would be very different. It was in the mist of His darkest, most painful time that God did His greatest miracle ever.

The author relates that back to our lives. It is during the plan b that God does His greatest work in us. God is more concerned about who we are, than what we do as a career. He is more concerned about who we are becoming than where we are going. God cares more about out character than our comfort.

So, I truly believe that God is doing a work in me. I know He has the power to give me a teaching job, and that might still happen. But, I am now more open to other possibilities.

I want to find out what God has out there for me. I want to discover who He is making me into, who He wants me to be.

I desire to glorify God. I often would think about when I get that teaching job, how much glory God would get. That in the mist of this economic crisis God did an incredible work and got me a job as an art teacher. I'm not saying that isn't going to happen. But, I am also saying that is what we all desire. We all want to be the one who scores the winning touchdown, points up to the sky and runs off the field. We all want to be the one who wins the oscar and thanks God first. But life doesn't always happen that way, and as I said earlier, it's during our darkest times that God does his greatest works.

I have come to this conclusion: it's not about what He can do, it's about what He has already done.  

So many times it seems we want God, when really we want what He can do for us. We want Him to come through for us, in the way that we want, and when it seems that He hasn't we are left wondering why without thinking about the other possibilities He might have in store for us.

But in all honesty I do feel extremely blessed with my life. I couldn't ask for a better husband. I have the best friends and family a girl could ask for. I love our church and our church family. We just bought a new home. I am healthy and happy. When I read the awful stories of things people had gone through in this book, a real plan b, it makes what I am going through seem like nothing.

I am grateful for where I am in life. I am finally at a place where I am okay with where I am professionally. I am excited to see what God has in store for me. Who He is shaping me into. Where He will lead me. I am open to the possibilities.

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS