Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Current Situation

I feel like I need an update about the job situation. I have been so focused on the house for the past month that it was only recently that I really started thinking about next fall again. In a perfect world I would be teaching Art come the fall. But, it is not a perfect world. Although this is true God is still sovereign and is still in control, which I must remind myself of daily. With that reminder I think about what is next for me.

While I was in school I always thought I would work at my current job until I found a full time teaching job. I am a planner, I like to plan for the future, far and near. I have also learned to plan in pencil, because things change. Although I like my job, I feel it is not a right fit for me anymore. There is no room for advancement, I hate working weekends, and I need something more consistent. If by the fall I don't have a full time teaching job, I need to look for something else. This terrifies me. I am so comfortable at my current job, I am friends with everyone I work with and I am good at it. But those are not good enough reasons to stay.

So what is that something else? I am hoping it will be teaching. But, I have recently started to pray for God to help me to be open. Open to other possibilities. He has put me here for a purpose, and part of that right now is my job.

Honestly I have thought about a baby. But, if I am honest with myself, I am just not ready yet. There are some things me and my husband want to do before we have children, and we just aren't there yet.

One thing that I have been thinking about for a long time is being an Instructional Assistant. I would work one on one with a student with special needs. It would be full time and I would be in a school. When I was student teaching I loved working with the special needs children. I think I really connected with them and even in my recommendation and evaluation my teacher noted that as one of my strengths.

Another thought was teaching preschool. I know all of you who know me well are saying what? I never had any desire to work with younger children until recently. Some of the Art classes I have taught through work were to younger students and I really enjoyed it. Also, if I taught preschool at a church I could tell the students how Jesus loves them. I would love that.

So, the job search is still on. I try to stay positive, but honestly it is hard. Chesterfield just let go of 150 teachers, my friend who is a teacher in Hanover just told me tonight they let go of about 100 teachers as well. I know God is bigger than that and bigger than the economy. But, it seems He might have something else out there for me right now. And I honestly believe I will be a teacher one day. It might not be in the near future, but God has put this desire in me and God doesn't set us up for failure.

I think of a quote from my pastor. I think it is my favorite one. "God would rather hurt your feelings than hurt your future." So true. I think we go though hard things, like rejection because God has something better planned for us and we just can't see it right now. I go back to reminding myself that God is sovereign and in control.

Lastly, I would love your prayers. Please pray for God to guide me where I need to be. Please pray that I would be open to what He has for me. Please pray for courage to pursue it.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~Romans 8:28






1 comment:

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Good luck on the job front -- sending prayers your way and hoping for the best!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS